Alfred Nash Patterson Grants
Alfred Nash Patterson Grants have been awarded continuously since 1985. These grants support choral music in New England and can be awarded to New England choruses, both volunteer and professional; parent organizations of New England choruses; and New England organizations that provide support to choral music. Over 220 Alfred Nash Patterson grants, totaling some $280,000, have been awarded since 1985. The grants:
- Encourage adventurous programming and broaden repertory;
- Have funded over 40 new choral compositions and dozens of world and region premiere performances;
- Support music education and the training of young choral singers;
- Encourage collaboration and festivals;
- Strengthen choruses throughout the region, from the heart of the city to remote country towns.
Criteria for evaluating grants are intentionally broad; all applications are carefully considered, though not all can be funded. Elsewhere on this website are detailed information about how to apply, lists of past grant recipients and their funded projects, and the application forms themselves.
Choral Arts New England named grants
Thanks to the "Maestoso" Donors who made possible these awards!
- The Hammond Family grant, instituted by Carrie and Jonathan Hammond, is intended to support a collaborative effort or to celebrate a milestone, preferably in Connecticut. First presented in 2020.
- The Saxton Family grant, instituted by Jonathan Saxton and Barbara Fox, is intended to support a unique, engaging effort in an underserved area or by a non-auditioned choir. First presented in 2020.
- The Irving Forbes Centennial Grant seeks to support projects involving community choruses performing large works with orchestra and/or music that celebrates nature and the outdoors.
- The Richard Coffey grant, instituted by friends of the visionary conductor and organist Richard Coffey, seeks to support projects of any kind that are transformative for the funded institution, whether musical, organizational, or experiential.
- The Choral Arts New England Board grant, sponsored by contributions from the Board members of Choral Arts New England, is intended to advance the priorities of the Board in any given year. First presented in 2020.
- The Choral Arts New England Board Chairs' grant is sponsored by contributions from the former Chairs and Vice Chairs of Choral Arts New England. First presented in 2021.
More details about these special awards can be found on elsewhere on this site.